Friday, July 29, 2011

"Helix"

Song Title: "The Helix Nebula"
Artist: My Cat Is an Alien
Search Term: "Helix"

My Cat Is an Alien is a pair of Italian brothers who specialize in experimental sound, not the cute indie-pop their name may suggest. They've shared split releases with big indie-rock names like Thurston Moore, Jim O'Rourke, Jackie-O Motherfucker, and Barbara Manning's Glands of External Secretion, so I am willing to believe that their discography is an estimable treasure chest from which I have had the misfortune to blindly pluck an oxidized Chuck E. Cheese token. Nevertheless, not much happens in this particular eight minutes to impress me. Some humming tones (which is not to say notes) are run through a rapidly oscillating phaser as a lead-in to an insistent phrase pounded out on particularly voluminous-sounding drums, and everything is eventually engulfed by squealing feedback. I don't dislike it, but the distant textures and portentous, rumbling rhythms never really add up to the feeling of a bad-trip supernova the way I think the Opalio brothers intend.

Furthermore, my dogs would like you to know that they take strong exception to this track.

No comments:

Post a Comment